Thursday, April 5, 2012

Somebody that I used to Know - Take 1

After the success of my Massive Attack piece, I decided I would do another piece of a similar kind for practice. I might actually have a market for this. I had this idea for the song "Somebody that I used to know" by Gotye feat. Kimbra. I hated this song for the longest time. It absolutely grated on my nerves that someone would use the phrase 'have your friend collect your records and then change your number". Records? Man. I know I live in Portland, but that's a little hipster-ish even for me.

Anyway. I finally got over my deep hatred for the Hipster Song, as I called it.. and decided to work with it. I made the outline, and Ben reminded me I could use a clipping mask to make the border on it. That way I'm not fretting over the complex outline of it. With the Massive Attack one, it had a little more give because it was mostly just curved lines. This one has a more complex image to it, so it's going to require a bit more control over how the words get placed.

Once this is finished, the outline is not going to be visible. I only left it on there as a visual cue for the artistic process. I'm still working on finishing the lettering on it, but once I do, I'm going to move letters up, down, and around so they're not quite so fine tuned. I also need to finish my seahorse painting, but I think I'll work on this instead to avoid working on that hideous atrocity!


1 comment:

  1. I'd be careful with your calling it a Hipster Song and hating it XD Cause honestly, I could see this kind of thing printed on a matte kind of card stock, white poster sort of thing. Like those obscure Swedish or French alphabet posters they put up in nurseries on OhDeeDoh. It's a very bound-for-Etsy kind of piece and there'd be some Hipster sort who'd be way into it. XD

    ReplyDelete