Thursday, April 5, 2012

Productive Procrastination

I'm avoiding working on my  lyrics piece AND my seahorse. For some reason, I just don't want to work on them. They're frustrating me. The seahorse is making me not want to finish it because I have to do it segment by segment, layer by layer. I'm honestly wishing I hadn't decided to digitize it. I'm sure I'll come back to it eventually, but for now --- something less frustrating.

I've been playing with a sticker series in Illustrator today. Completely original, drawn with the pen tool.  It started because I posted the cat sticker I made yesterday on my facebook. A friend from school said she'd like some, plus some bunnies for her car (to match the amount of pets she has). So, I started playing around with the bunny. Then, I saw another friend on Pinterest (The time-sink of the universe) collecting skull designs.. so I did a skull. I still wanted to do something else. I ended up doing an owl because my husband and I were discussing things that were marketable. Last week, I had lamented that my Threadless submission didn't make it. The same girl requesting the bunny had suggested that next time, I put a bird on it. "Hipsters love birds", she said. Plus, owls are pretty cute. Boom! Owl!

Here they are in their pre-production glory:



And now, I think I'll go try and work on the thing that might actually make me money. Although, I did get the money from my first print today! Win!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the print sale!

    You know, I'm honestly shocked at owls still being around. They've been fad-itized for quite a while now and I honestly thought they would have already spent all of their trend power by now. Still seem to be going fairly strong though. At least skulls never go out of style. You know what is a frequently forgotten trend creature though are the obscure forest animals- deer, squirrel, hedgehog.... That sort. Then things maybe like pinecones, dandelions, and the like.

    ReplyDelete