Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Prepare Ye!




This is the framework for a Godspell poster I'm working on. It's a well known fact that I am a huge fan of Stephen Schwartz, and Godspell especially. (However, Wicked comes a close second!)

There is a scene in the film version from 1973 with Victor Garber as Jesus that has this beautiful shot. It's right after the song "O Bless the Lord My Soul" and during the scene of Beatitudes. Judas says " Blessed are ye... When men shall persecute you and revile you... and say all manner of evil against you... .... falsly.". The camera changes focus from David Haskell as Judas/John The Baptist and back to Jesus again.. and there's this look on his face that I've always felt moved by. It's this "Yeah, I know.. and this is going to suck" face.

I am a huge fan of Victor Garber as well. I would love to make some arrangements to get a print of this to him when it was finished if possible.

His hair is going to serve as a halo as well, and I'm planning to put the words "Earth shall be fair and all her people one" inside of it, making up the texture of the hair.

I plan on keeping this mostly black and white, with the exception of the heart on his forehead. It's actually going to be quite minimalist, which will be new for me.

The contour of his face came out awesome. I am so proud of that.

Any critiques or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

1 comment:

  1. Well! I really like the delicate lines of the face. The thicker one for the hair bounces your eyes up to the marks on his face and the brow, which is cool because they're very stylized, nice shapes.

    The only thing I'd say is that, not having seen the movie, I didn't know that the top mark was a heart until you said so. It's a bit angular, so it struck me as a chevron. If you wanted it to be distinctly a heart, I wonder if softening up the upper peak might not help. It looks fine the way it is too, though, I think. Lastly, the little elongated triangle shape is nice, but I see that you've put in a lot of effort to make the face lines realistic- even if stylized. I was just noticing that if there was something painted beneath a person's eye, it wouldn't look straight from the side, it would curve outward slightly because of the shape of the cheek.

    Anyway, without knowing the background story it was interesting and kind of reminded me of some sort of sixties take on sci-fi tribal cultures. XD Fro meets face painting. XD

    ReplyDelete