Thursday, April 12, 2012

Beauty is in the Eye of the Bee Holder


So, here I am. Rocking out to Hanson, messing with Illustrator sans Wacom. I am an avid Hanson fan. I was a huge fan of them when Middle of Nowhere was released in 1997. I kept myself in denial for a long time, cause listening to Hanson wasn't "cool". But finally, I just said "The hell with everybody else. Hanson is awesome", and came out of the proverbial record cabinet. Hanson is an amazing band. Seriously. They are WAY more than people take them for. MMMBop is not by far their best song. I highly recommend giving some of their newer stuff a listen. But this blog isn't about Hanson - it's about my artwork!




I decided to play with a piece that I worked on before. I replaced the bee with something that I live-traced and then adjusted to my liking, instead of using clip art. It used to be a clip-art be with clip art vector filigrees. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it. I saw this neat piece of artwork on DeviantArt that inspired me to work with just some basic shapes and layer them together. I thought it might be neat to play around with the piece I had before. This is what it originally looked like (well, after I switched out the bee and lost the filigree. That one isn't saved anymore! I accidentally deleted it):



This is also a minor variation on the egyptian "Eye of Horus". That was the inspiration for it. It started out with just a circle and some dripping lines, and turned into this.

It's interesting what the work of others and good music can accomplish!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry, I think I wasn't quite sure what you were saying. Which one did you do?

    ReplyDelete